- Dual Citizenship is applicable to;
A person whose citizenship of Sri Lanka has ceased under sections 19, 20 or 21 of the Citizenship Act No. 18 of 1948 or a person whose citizenship of Sri Lanka is likely to cease.
1. Resumption - Section 19(2) of the said Act makes provisions in respect of a person whose citizenship of Sri Lanka has ceased due to obtaining of citizenship in another country and who there after desires to resume the status of a citizen of Sri Lanka.
2. Retention - Section 19(3) of the said Act makes provisions in respect of a person who is having a desire to obtain citizenship in another country, while intends to retain the citizenship of Sri Lanka.
Click to download Application
- Instructions to fill the application.
- To be completed in “BLOCK CAPITALS” .
- Delete inapplicable word or words wherever * appears in the application.
- Please mention “ Not relevant” if a particular information is not applicable.
- Each member of the family has to submit a separate application along with 3 passport size colour photographs with white colour background. Affix one of those photographs in the top right hand corner of the first page of the application.
- Any applicant who belongs to one of the categories mentioned in section 1 of the application (A to G) can apply for dual citizenship. Please mark (√ ) in the relevant cage.
- The statement in the application should be supported by an affidavit (page 6) made by the applicant before a justice of the peace or a Commissioner of Oaths.
Documents required for the Dual Citizenship.
- Applicant’s original Birth Certificate or a certified copy of it.
(If the applicant is a citizen of Sri Lanka by registration, the relevant certificate or a copy of it)
- If the applicant is married, the marriage certificate or a certified copy of it.
- An applicant submitting application for Resumption under section 19(2) (A person whose Sri Lankan Citizenship ceased due to obtaining of citizenship in another country) should submit following documents,
(a) Certified copy of Foreign Citizenship Certificate.
(b) Certified copy of Bio data page and the observation page of the Foreign Passport.
(c) A recent Police clearance report from the country of foreign citizenship not older than 3 months in English or an English Translation of the original.
(d) Certified copy of Bio data page and the observation page of the previous Sri Lankan passport (if available)
An applicant submitting application for Retention under section 19(3) (A person who is having desire to obtain citizenship in another country, while intends to retain the citizenship of Sri Lanka.) should submit following documents,
(a) Certified copy of Bio data page and the observation page of the current Sri Lankan passport.
(b) Certified copy of permanent residence visa.
(c) A recent Police clearance report from the country of permanent residence not older than 3 months in English or an English Translation of the original.
- If applying under age category (1.A) original birth certificate or certified copy of it.
- If applying under Professional category (1.B) applicant’s original Educational / Professional certificates or a certified copy of it. (minimum one year diploma or higher, or any other professional qualification)
- If applying under Assets / Properties category (1.C) original of the documentary proof of applicant’s assets such as; lands or other immovable properties in Sri Lanka worth of Rs. 2.5 million or above and or a certified copy. Deed, valuation report & title reports for the same should be also submitted, along with above supporting documents.
- If applying under Fixed deposit of Rs. 2.5 million or above - category (1.D) a confirmation letter from the bank mentioning deposit will not be withdrawn within a period of 3 year.
- If applying under Fixed deposit of USD 25,000 or above - category (1.E) a confirmation letter from the bank mentioning deposit will not be withdrawn within a period of 3 year.
- If applying under Treasury Bond (TB) or Security Investment Account (SIA) valued of USD 25,000 for minimum 3 years period - category (1.F) a certificate from the relevant Authority conforming the investment will not be withdrawn prior to maturity.
- If applying under the spouse of the applicant or an unmarried child under the age of 22 of the applicant - category (1.G) a certified copy of marriage certificate (For Spouse) or a certified copy of birth certificate (For unmarried child - born in Sri Lanka) or a copy of Citizenship certificate issued under section 5(2) of the Citizenship Act No. 18 of 1948 (For unmarried child - born outside the Sri Lanka). A spouse or children eligible under this category shall be limited to a person whose citizenship of Sri Lanka has ceased under section 19, 20 or 21 of the Citizenship Act No. 18 of 1948 or a person whose Sri Lankan citizenship is likely to cease.
Note: Documents could only be certified by the Deputy / Assistant Controller (Citizenship) of the Department of Immigration and Emigration or by the Senior Officer of Sri Lanka Overseas Mission in the rank not less than of a Third Secretary.
Submission of applications
The duly perfected application should be sent directly to the Controller General of Immigration & Emigration, if the applicant handover in person or to the Sri Lanka Overseas Mission, if the person resides abroad when application is made. The application submitted through Sri Lanka Overseas Mission should be sent together with the certificates specified in paragraph (03) above which should be authenticated by the Head of the Sri Lanka Diplomatic mission or a Senior officer in the rank of Third Secretary or above in the country in which the applicant has acquired citizenship / Permanent residence. The application can also be handed over to the Head Office of the Department of Immigration and Emigration. The application and the documents so submitted should be authenticated by Deputy or Assistant Controller of the Citizenship Division.
The Controller General,
Department of Immigration and Emigration,
Email : accit[at]immigration.gov.lk
Dual Citizenship Fee
|Spouse of applicant
Rs. 50,000 .00
|Unmarried child below 22 years
Rs. 50,000 .00
The relevant fee will be charged from the applicant after obtaining the approval of the Minister. The Department will notify the applicant to make the payment.