Acquiring Biometric Data into the Passport System
The Government of Sri Lanka has decided to obtain fingerprints as biometric data of applicants when issuing Passports with effect from 10th August 2015. Arrangements have also been made to obtain photographs of the applicants, conforming to standards of the International Civil Aviation Organization. By this arrangement, Sri Lankan Passport will become a travel document with international recognition.
Important information of new passports issuance procedure.
- The “K 35A” application should be used that has been amended to conform to the above requirements. (Instructions)
- Those application forms could be obtained from the Office of The Department, Regional Offices at Matara, Kandy and Vavuniya. District Secretariat Offices, Divisional Secretariat Offices or from the website www.immigration.gov.lk.
- As the fingerprints have to be captured, all applicants have to come in person to the Head Office of the Department or regional Offices to submit their applications.
Photograph conforming to international standards
- The Department will not accept printed photographs. All applicants should obtain their photographs only from studios authorized by the Department located island-wide or from studios established at the Head Office and Regional Offices of the Department.
- The relevant studios will not give a printed photograph and your photograph will be forwarded to the data system of the Department through online technology.
- The studio will issue you a acknowledgement note which should be submitted along with your application.
- The list of authorized studios will be published in the newspapers and on our website www.immigration.gov.lk and will also be exhibited at District Secretariat Offices and Divisional Secretariat Offices.
- According to the provisions of the Immigration and Emigration Act No. 20 of 1948 amended by Act No. 7 of 2015 every applicant above 16 years of age must provide his or her fingerprints. Fingerprints will be obtained only at the Head Office and Regional Offices.
- Children under 16 years of age do not have to submit their fingerprints.
Children below 16 years of age will hereafter not be included in the Passports of their parents and separate passports must be obtained for them.
More information: Hotline 1962 or telephone numbers 011 532 9200 / 001 532 9175 or More